So even though we've managed to do Awesome Things every day, it's felt a little sloppy, too. Bilbo Baggins keeps jumping into my head and whispering, "You and me, kid: we're like butter that's spread too thin...so thin...." (This is an appropriate literary character for me to empathize with considering that my sister-in-law Sarah purportedly referred to me as Gilgo Gaggins when she heard her brother was romantically involved with a girl named Gilliland. Of course, my family teased me about David, too: Grover has been my favorite muppet since I could first walk and talk, and one of my first words was "Goh-dee-goh" for "Grover." So yeah, my sister referred to David as Goh-dee-goh for about as long as my in-laws referred to me as Gilgo. Quid pro quo, I should say.)
To my point.
We wanted to go doorbell ditching for Thing #4 last night. Baking these cookies was absolutely not stressful. It was glorious, actually. An absolute stress reliever. And I'd been wanting to try these double-chocolate cookies for a long time, and this was my perfect excuse. But because we started too late, the cookies weren't done until 10:00 p.m. and we felt sheepish about knocking on anybody's door that late, even if we were bearing gifts. So, much to my chagrin, we bagged the doorbell-ditching and let the cookies cool overnight.
| We made Molasses Spice and Double Chocolate cookies. We love the America's Test Kitchen cookbook because the recipes are almost always delicious (and scientifically proven to be the best!) |
1. We are old. (Seriously, we can't leave the house after dark anymore? Who have we become?)
2. In high school, you had a pretty safe bet that your friends would be home eventually to pick up the treats on their porch. When most of your friends are university students or university professors, though, and it is at the end of a semester, leaving treats on a porch with no car in the driveway is potentially leaving treats on the porch for a week or more. (Dear squirrels and stray dogs: enjoy, but don't eat too much of the chocolate cookies as they are not good for you.)
3. It is incredibly difficult to find hiding places in broad daylight. We managed, but SHEESH. Furthermore, David and I are big people. The typical shrub is not enough to cover our girths and lengths. Plus, have you seen Dave's hair?
4. We don't run nearly as fast as we used to.
5. Even when you make a bunch of treats and give almost all of them away, you still end up eating more than you ought to at home. (Hey, do you expect me to give out the funny-looking dud cookies? They were funny-looking!)
![]() |
| Our little partner-in-crime. |
![]() |
| Our little partner-in-crime's tootsies. |
Thing #5: The doorbell-ditch—ACCOMPLISHED, barely.
As a bonus for my family readers, here are some pictures of Momma Grover and Baby Hollie from this morning.
Thanks for coming to visit us and help us get all our work done during finals week, Momma Grover! We miss you already!








6 comments:
Time: 12:02
Papers: submitted
Oh, I love you three. Reading this made me want to speak in church. Not because I particularly enjoy speaking in church, but because when I do, you magically appear in the back row. You Grover's are just awesome people. ♥
Love--Jonesey
Jonesy, you give the best church talks! I wish we were accidentally sneaking into hear one today, too!
Favorite two pictures:
The cookies on the tray. I seriously wanted to rip a hole through the internet and get to them. If you ever need my address for cookie ditching, I will gladly provide it.
Dave running back towards the car like you had committed true crimes. And not a tasty felony.
Okay, I don't even remember calling you that. Are you sure that was me? I sound like a bitch. Second, Mom has been a mess since she left. She starts to tear up if we even mention Hollie and we're all mentioning it b/c we want to hear all about her. I'm like "But you get to come back to all of us!" For some reason that isn't having the effect I thought it would.
1- I am calling you both Gilgo and Gaggins from now on.
2- Double chocolate molasses cookies? YES! Don't mess around with "lime meltaways" again!
3- Love the running picture of David!
Post a Comment