Yes, that's right: We're back to edible awesomeness. Today, we cooked with ingredients we had never cooked with before. We made Spanakopita, a kind of Greek spinach pie, and it involved cooking with phyllo dough, something we had certainly never attempted to work with before.
Aside from the phyllo, the recipe also called for ingredients we have certainly used in the past, but never in the same dish. The filling called for spinach, a lot of feta cheese, Greek yogurt (the best yogurt, in my opinion—so good with honey drizzled on it!), chives, minced dill, minced mint (I chewed several leaves during the food prep), lemon zest and juice (once again, my microplaner proves to be the best Mothers' Day gift ever), garlic, eggs, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and, of course, salt and pepper.
 |
| Stirring it all together. This is the first place David and I have ever lived where there have been windows in the kitchen. Don't kitchen windows make cooking so much more lovely? |
 |
| Another ingredient we had never worked with before: Pecorino Romano cheese (and my microplaner strikes again!). This is one of Italy's oldest cheeses, says Wikipedia, and it comes from sheep's milk. It is hard, salty, and very, very good. We have plenty leftover for salads and whatever else we can think to grate it on. |
 |
| I was so nervous to work with phyllo. It immediately begins to dry out, harden, and crack as soon as it reaches open air, so whenever I didn't immediately need another thin sheet of dough, I had to cover it with plastic wrap and a damp towel. This is definitely something that would be difficult to make without someone watching the kiddos while you cook. Thanks, Davie! |
 |
| My spanakopita filling on 10 buttered layers of phyllo dough. |
 |
| Before baking. |
 |
| After baking! I know it isn't perfect, and I would certainly be embarrassed for a real Greek to see my attempt at their dish, but I'm pretty proud that it actually looks something like what's supposed to look like! |
 |
| In the meantime, David fed Hollie carrots, gave her a bath, and got her ready for bed. Anyone who has been to our house between 5:00 and 7:00 knows that this is not a one-person job. Getting this roly-poly wiggleworm into pajamas alone is typically a two-person job around here. |
 |
| Making a huge experimental Greek dish requires some sharing with friends, so we invited some dear friends over to help us eat everything. David made a salad and some roasted potatoes with thyme and caramelized onions (his specialty), and our friend Joleen brought some homemade wheat bread with lemon curd. For dessert, our friend Kellyanne brought strawberry/raspberry shortcake. Could we be any more spoiled? |
 |
| You'd think an actual dining-room-sized dining room table would be on our to-buy list before all of these extra bookshelves. Especially since we certainly eat as much as we read around here. |
 |
| Melanie, Joleen, and Kellyanne have dinner with us while Hollie remains the center of attention. |
Thing #16: Cook with Unfamiliar Ingredients (Make a Spanakopita) =
ACCOMPLISHED.
5 comments:
Looks delicious (like so many other of your recent posts)! I LOVE phyllo dough. The only thing I have ever made was baklava, but whenever I see something in phyllo dough on a menu I have to order it.
SO YUMMY! And here are all the things I have to say: My kids recently ate some lemon curd, to their delight, and call it lemon custard; what is mince meat?; where is the coffee table?; I was just at IKEA yesterday (oh beautiful motherland!)and saw this great idea for small dining tables. They wheeled a cute three-tiered cart to the side of the table and served the food off the cart so the tabletop was clear for, you know, eating. I have a small dining table in my kitchen, and we usually just serve off the counter, but I am so digging the cart idea. And then, of course, we thought of all the other uses for a wheelie cart - crafts, makeup, plants, etc.
Oh my goodness. I want you should send me this recipe. And you'll have your first (of many, I hope) recipe card in my box. I love phyllo dough so much, but I agree that it is hard to work with. I first used it on our seventh anniversary to make a special meal--so you are way ahead of me, girl.
I love 30 things in 30 days.
Commencing comments.
Jen: We moved the coffee table into my and David's room so that Hollie could move around more. It's been a nice change, although we don't have a place to put our feet up anymore.
Becca: Hooray for your comments! I loved them all!
Goody :)
Post a Comment