Friday, September 05, 2008

Top Ten Sexiest Men Who Also Happened to be Funny in the 60s & 70s

I made a list of all the people I am in love with as I was driving back to Provo the other day. A high majority of the sexiest men who ever lived also happen to be about 90-years-old today and not generally regarded as sexy from a mass media perspective. I'd like to recognize them today for the beautiful, intelligent men that they were (some have aged better than others) and make an overall plea to the gods of love to send their doppelgängers and blood soul kindred bosom brothers my way puh-leeeeease. These boys in Provo are a snore. I highly doubt a date with Bill Murray would consist of sitting around watching that crap Transformers movie in a dark basement........every weekend.

From the Least-Most-Sexy to the Sexiest:

10. Robin Williams, Mork & Mindy

If David Bowie was my sexual awakening, then Robin Williams was my first crush. He was just so cuddly and kind and bright-eyed. I think it also helped that I was eight-years-old and watching from a 12-inch circa 1980s antennae television that blurred out most of his rampant chest hair. But you have to admit he's sexy in Dead Poets Society, too. Also, Hook. Also, Jumanji.

9. Rick Moranis

"Gee that Seymour, he's a cutie....but if not he's got inner beauty....." Just look at those lips, those innocent eyes, those amazing performances in Ghostbusters and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. How could you not be attracted to Rick Moranis. The man is a hidden gem and I only wish I were shorter. And older. And lived in Hollywood.

8. Dan Akroyd

Dan Akroyd was such a cutie in the 70s. I loved Dr. Raymond Stantz and his cheerful, naive, kind manners. He was funny and selfless and good. And when he and Steve Martin shook their fingers in the air and twisted and shouted their foreign bellbottomed booties back and forth across their bachelor pad as two wild and crazy guys, I was overcome. Dan Akroyd doesn't get enough sexy credit in this world.

7. Christopher Walken

Need I say more.

5.Chevy Chase

"I'm Chevy Chase's 26-year-old Mormon mistress, and you're not."

5. Richard Dreyfuss

There's something sexy about an ambitious man, whether it's a passion for killing sharks, sculpting mountains out of mashed potatoes, cruising the strip, or killing Bob. The curly hair and stubble doesn't hurt, either.

4. Bill Murray

I've had a crush on Bill Murray since he showed me how paranoid, terrified, freakishly worried people can be funny and cute and kind and cuddly after all. I was remarkably jealous of Scarlet Johannson's role in Lost in Translation. I never cease to be amazed by Bill Murray and his choices of roles. He's the best thing that ever happened to Wes Anderson.

3. Curly-Haired Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks must have hid his hyper, giggling, yelling, fantastic genes in his curly locks of wonderful hair. Then, he grew out his hair or chopped his curls and lost all his most wonderful characteristics. Sorry, but it's true. I pined over him in The Money Pit and would fantasize about someday going home to find him dangling from my ceiling in a large braided rug.

2. Dick Van Dyke

Oh lovely, lovely Dick Van Dyke. That grin, that wink, that hair, that nose...he's tall, too. I have loved Dick Van Dyke since I could just barely know how to read. He's the reason I watched Mary Poppins. He's the only reason anyone should ever sit through three hours of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I'm still attracted to him and his bushy white mustache when I watch Diagnosis Murder with my mom.

1. John Ritter

John Ritter, the love of my life.... I don't know.....there is just something about a large grin and a pair of bellbottoms with consistent tripping over ottomans (see Dick Van Dyke, above), falling over chairs, buckets of water falling on heads, running into walls that just melts my heart. Where has slapstick gone? Don't people know that the very quickest way to win my heart is to trip over a stool in a horrible messy way and look up grinning toothily at me from the floor? I'll be yours, baby, yours! Big collars and bellbottoms don't hurt, either! John Ritter, I hope you are resting in peace. If I never find anyone in this life, I will find you and guide you to the light. I will flirt to convert you from heaven.

THE END

14 comments:

Aubrey said...

I have a big crush on Dick Van Dyke too!!! Let's be friends :)

Jactionary said...

You make me so happy.

Helen said...

Sorry - the only one I "get" is Richard Dreyfuss - and lemme tell ya, he's still hot NOW! I met him about 3 years ago.
He still laughs the same way he did in Jaws...

author said...

Oh man... Thanks for the laugh.

Amanda said...

Sister! Quit looking at people from the inside would ya? haha ok but seriously where was Patrick Swayze? You could have put him up there for me. Robin Williams will always be Mrs. Doubtfire to me. Sorry. Sick. And the only part of that movie I really remember is when he is peeing. Even more sick.

Emily G said...

Bahahaha, I know! I can only see Mrs. Doubtfire peeing, too, that's why I didn't mention that movie. Not sexy! Not sexy! But Patrick Swayze just doesn't do it for me like Dan Akroyd does, although I admit that watching his head bobs and jump skip flips in Dirty Dancing makes me laugh as if it were slapstick anyway. Haha, you weirdie.

Nicole, you're welcome and thanks for visiting here. I love to read your comments on Julia's blog.

Helen, I'm glad you appreciate the Dreyfuss. He does have a great crazy laugh.

And Aubs, done and done. Consider us friends.

Helen said...

Gillz, I adore him! He's so loverly (as the song almost goes).

Yep, the crazy laugh helps a lot.

I may have to get my copy of "Jaws" out, just to have a listen!

Sandra said...

Emily
Very funny post! I love your honesty and humor. I hope the job is going well! Remember that someone in AZ thinks the world of you.
sandra

Emily G said...

Sandra, I love that you come here sometimes. I miss you! The job here is going great, but it is hard not to want to be on the trail sometimes.

I Love John Ritter said...

John Ritter is my most favorite actor ever. He was so talented. And also very good looking in his "Three's Company" days. :)

Erin Axson said...

If you think that I am sitting in a convention in Vegas crying... you would be right! My memories with you are too many to count but they rank with some of my favorites!
Love you!

James Best said...

I'm with you on a lot of these. Rick Moranis is hard to see but Dan Akroyd, Christopher Walken, and Ritter I can see definitely. I always thought Chase was too goofy looking to be handsome but he looks pretty decent in Fletch.

Bill Murray, one of my idols, has a rugged look in his younger days. Robin Williams is such a hairy dude. If you like that.

Emily G said...

A muppet. Well, if I were a muppet, then Grover from Sesame Street would DEFINITELY make my top ten sexy list. So would Ralph the Dog. And that hot hippie chick from the band. Also, Animal. And Beaker. Damn, muppets are sexy are the more I think about it.

Lauren said...

I'm glad someone is finally recognizing these seemingly comical men for what they truly are...sex symbols. I have often wondered why Dan Akroyd doesn't get more sexy credit as well. You crack me up girlfriend!